Calling something (or someone) a “bad fit” might not be concerning at first, but an ill-fitting situation can be more devastating than it appears. Some examples from my personal experience:
- Ill-fitting clothes:
- What it feels like: You are fat.
- What it probably is: The dress/pants/shirt/whatever is too small or the cut doesn’t suit your proportions.
- Ill-fitting relationships
- What it feels like: you are a bad person, nobody loves you, you don’t deserve love, something is wrong with you.
- What it probably is: the person you are in a relationship with is not compatible with and/or genuinely interested in you
- Ill-fitting jobs
- What it feels like: You suck, you are incompetent, you are stressed out / anxious all the time, you are a failure
- What it probably is: the job is not properly using your strengths; the working environment is not healthy or supportive; you have no room for creativity/autonomy/growth